- Internet Governance Forum (IGF) on IoT – Baku, Bali, Istanbul, Joao Pessoa, Guadalajara, Geneva, Paris, Berlin (2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019)
- Global Internet and Jurisdiction Conference – Paris, Ottawa, Berlin (2016, 2018, 2019)
- European Dialogue on Internet Governance (EuroDIG) – Berlin, Sofia, Brussels, Tallinn, Tbilisi, The Hague (2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019)
- Indian School for Internet Governance, Internet Governance Ecosystem, New Delhi, Kolkata (2018, 2019)
- Domainpulse conference, IoT Governance and the Domain Name Industry, Munich (2018)
- Policy issues affecting EU/US ICT development collaboration: White Paper with a focus on recommendations for specific high potential ICT policy initiatives in the EU-US Dialogue, for the European Commission DG CNECT, by Maarten Botterman and Jonathan Cave, June 2018
- Digital Communities and EU/US ICT development collaboration: policy paper for the European Commission sponsored project PICASSO, by Glenn Ricart, Maarten Botterman and Jonathan Cave, May 2018
- The European Open Science Cloud Governance Model: towards a new European decision making modelling to support Research and Innovation, prepared for the European Commission DG Research & Innovation, Maarten Botterman and Jonathan Cave, December 2017
- Standardisation issues affecting EU/US ICT development collaboration: policy paper for the European Commission sponsored project PICASSO, by Maarten Botterman, Jonathan Cave and Avri Doria, October 2017
- ICT Security issues affecting EU/US ICT development collaboration: policy paper for the European Commission sponsored project PICASSO, by Dave Farber, Maarten Botterman and Jonathan Cave, March 2017
- EU-wide digital Once-Only Principle for citizens and businesses – Policy options and their impacts; (report to European Commission, 2017)
"Maarten's extensive experience of policy work combines perfectly with his openness and passion for conscious leadership development. In our joint work I learned to appreciate him as a valued partner, colleague and friend. I can unreservedly recommend Maarten to any organization or individual looking for authentic and skilled support in developing their leadership, or for policy development support."
Lars Hornborg, CEO, Hornborg & Co AB
"I have met Maarten in several occasions in the field of cybercrime policies and securities at EU level. He has always showed great professionalism and open mind approaches. I hope to have other occasions in the future to do business together."
Nicola Dileone, former Coordinator High Tech Crime Centre, Europol
"Maarten is an open-minded and experienced professional with a strong and charming capability to give guidance to people in their professional live. Besides he has an excellent knowledge on content and organisation in the world of ICT. He is able to create cooperation on the different levels and it's a real pleasure to work with him."
Edgar de Lange, Senior policy adviser (ret.), Dutch Ministry of Economic Affairs
"Maarten is an exceptional advisor and businessman. He has the unusual combination of and big open heart and a refined, clear, strategic-thinking brain. He is fully conscious and authentic in his working relationships, guided strongly by deep principles, able to communicate potently and to strategise clearly and to organise effectively. He is a passionate leader who has a wonderfully robust sense of humour and a strongly principled and dedicated work ethic. I always thoroughly enjoy working with Maarten, and give him the highest possible recommendation."
Kevin Billett, CEO Conscious Company Ltd
"I have worked with Maarten in at least three of his positions: at the Ministry of Transport; the European Commission; and at RAND Europe. Maarten has proven himself to be a versatile and talented coordinator and organizer of some quite intricate programmes. He is always at the leading edge of developments in the interactions between information technology and society."
Jack Nilles, CEO JALA
"Maarten is a natural leader, with an instinctive gift for getting to the heart of complex matters. With great intellectual horsepower as well as solid business common sense, working with Maarten has been an invigorating and rewarding learning experience."
John Madelin, Chief Executive Reliance, ACSN
"Maarten is a strongly dedicated manager, with sharp analytical capabilities and strategic views. Maarten is result driven and a great pleasure to work with."
Norbert van den Hove, deputy Director Enterprise Department, Dutch Ministry of Economic Affairs
"Maarten has a broad scope, and quickly grasps essentials in any situation, and is a pleasure to work with. He is a strategist and is very good at dealing with people. I've worked with him inside the PIR board and as business partners and can testify that he definitely is excellent in both roles. I heartily recommend Maarten for any board position as well as for any complex project you may want to undertake."
Erik Huizer, CTO SURFnet